12 reasons to listen to the new Ghostface Killah And Adrian Younge album
Ghostface Killah is releasing a new record called Twelve Reasons to Die with Adrian Younge, who is a producer/musician and composed all the tracks on the album. Here are 12 reasons to give it a listen:
1. You love Wu-Tang.
2. The song writing structure warrants a couple listens because the album was built around a story that was developed first, composed second, and the lyrics were written last.
3. Adrian Younge actually composed this whole record, which is rare these days. Most producers let the musical greats of yesteryear do all the legwork.
4. The lyrics are as gritty and raw and any other Ghostface album.
5. The storyline follows a black superhero in Italy in the 1960s. You can probably image how well that turned out for him.
6. It is free to listen to on NPR’s First Listen. so you really don’t have an excuse not to check it out.
7. It doesn’t release until April 16, so you can brag to your friends about having heard it before them. Or be nice and let them in on it.
8. There are cameos by RZA, Cappadonna, Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa, and (kinda) Ol’ Dirty Bastard. Again, you love Wu-Tang.
9. This is a new type of project for Ghostface, who has run the spectrum in terms of diversity. While he has done concept albums, nothing was as complicated and custom-tailored at this.
10. The record ends with a powerful instrumental that Adrian Younge composed flawlessly.
11. You have been listening to a little too much Top 100 rappers and need a refresher on hip-hop of substance.
12. You still love Wu-Tang. You’ve heard everything else they put out, why stop now?